Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins

Okay, I guess it’s obvious that I’m in a bit of a pumpkin rut – or is it just a pumpkin patch? 

Either way, I just can’t seem to help myself.  Fall means pumpkin – pumpkin bar cookies, pumpkin caramels, pumpkin chocolate chip donuts, and even pumpkin cream puffs. Yum!

Halloween is just around the corner.  Maybe I’m remembering all those fun evenings scooping out pumpkin goop.  My sisters and I would draw faces on the pumpkins and our dad would do the knife work.

When it would get dark, he’d head outside with a lit jack-o-lantern and do a little dance in front of the dining room window while we giggled at the floating pumpkin head.

So if you’ll bear with me for one more pumpkin recipe, I promise to branch out and embrace the many other flavors of fall.  In fact, I believe apple cider caramels are calling my name. . .

Pumpkin Muffins (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

1 c canned pumpkin
1/3 c vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 t pumpkin pie spice
½ t ground ginger 
1 t cinnamon
1 ¼ c sugar
1 t salt
1 ½ c flour
1 t baking powder
½ t baking soda
¾ c dried cranberries

Topping
1 t sugar
½ t cinnamon
½ c chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Put liners in muffin tins.

In a large bowl, stir together pumpkin, oil, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, cinnamon, sugar, and salt until thoroughly mixed.

Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir until just combined. Fold in cranberries.

To make topping, stir together cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.


Divide batter among the muffin cups and sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture and pecans over tops.

Bake until golden brown and muffins spring back with a light touch, about 18 to 20 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

Yes, Cat, I'm bringing them to the office tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. These look wonderful, especially with the dried cranberries and the sugared pecan topping. Cat certainly will be happy at the office :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh and what a wonderful surprise they were yesterday morning! So delicious! Thanks Sam... I am officially a happy camper.

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Pinterest