Monday, October 10, 2011

October Wedding Cake


Two years – where did the time go?

First of all, Happy Anniversary, Laura and Adam. 

Now, ready for a little flashback?

So there I was, up to my elbows in three different kinds of cake (chocolate, peanut butter, and vanilla bean), three separate frosting flavors (peanut butter, chocolate, and vanilla), pounds and pounds of chocolate fondant, and a plethora of sugar leaves. Whew!

The days spent baking a variety of cakes, whipping up many batches of buttercream, and then frosting, fondanting, and stacking the tiers went by in a blur. I even forgot to take pictures.

I just have a few shots of the fondant leaves. After tinting small batches of fondant various shades of gold, orange, red, brown, and green, I’d twist two or three colors together and roll them flat. Then I cut leave shapes from the marbled fondant, added some veins, and let them dry on flower formers. 



 




As a finishing touch, I added just a hint of gold shimmer dust to the leaves.










After the wedding, I received a few pictures of the cake.  Now, I never start a cake without a camera close by.



The peanut butter/chocolate combination was a hit. I adapted the peanut butter pound cake recipe from Cooks.com.


Peanut Butter Pound Cake
1 c butter
½ c shortening
3 c sugar
6 eggs
½ c peanut butter
3 c flour
2 t baking powder
½ t salt
2 t vanilla
1 c mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350° and grease two 8-inch cake pans.

In a large bowl, cream together butter, shortening, and cream cheese.  Add sugar and mix thoroughly, then add eggs and mix well. Incorporate peanut butter, mix in flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla. Finally, stir in chocolate chips and pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest