Thursday, October 6, 2011

Autumn Brittle


So, I kept seeing this picture of a beautiful, overflowing plate of autumn brittle on Pinterest. All those fall colors and tastes were working together to create a shiny, tempting piece of candy. But it was a million degrees outside and ridiculously humid and I just wasn’t feeling the boiled sugar vibe.

Then my copy of Gesine Bullock-Prado’s Sugar Baby arrived this week and the weather cooled down and all of a sudden I was ready to cook something sweet.  I’ll definitely be pouring over and testing recipes from Sugar Baby this fall and winter (and remembering her advice not to poke hot caramel – thank you, Gesine), but first, the autumn brittle.

Cooking sugar is that interesting combination of relaxing yet somewhat scary and exciting.

Making brittle isn’t something you can do in a hurry. The sugar needs to reach the hard crack stage - 300°F.  So for an hour or more, you stir a little, check the thermometer, wait a little bit, and catch up on some daydreaming before you stir again and recheck the thermometer. . . you get the idea. Peaceful.

As the mixture keeps getting hotter and hotter, though, all the warnings I read in cookbooks and heard on Food Network about sugar burns ran through my mind. There’s also the fact that I’m less than graceful. Kinda worrisome.

Nevertheless, I carefully persevered and ended up with this (and not one single scalding). Thrilling.


I’m going to direct you right to the Adventures in Cooking site.  The photos are gorgeous and the recipe is very easy to follow. For my version of the brittle, I used pecans instead of cashews (pecans just seemed more fall-like) and added a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the sugar mixture (‘cause you can’t go wrong with pumpkin pie spice).


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest