Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars


I LOVE Fall!  The rich colors of the foliage, the smell of a wood fire, the rustling sound as you walk through a big pile of leaves – it’s all good.  And then there’s the food – apple dumplings, pumpkin pie, gingerbread, and caramel apples.  I hardly know which fall-inspired recipe to try first.

Should I usher in the season (yes, I’m jumping the gun a bit; humor me) with my favorite apple pie with cheddar crust or try something new, like the tempting autumn brittle I keep seeing on Pinterest?

There’s also the teeny, tiny evil part of me that rejoices to see my large, extended family of teachers head back to the classroom.  I know, I know.  They work ridiculously hard during the school year.  They also gloat (you know who you are) during summer, Christmas, and spring breaks.

Anyway. . . I was in the mood for a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie.  I’ve never had one, but they sound tasty, don’t they? So far, the recipes I’ve found are for cakey cookies and I’m craving something chewy.  Until I find/create what I’m searching for, these dense pumpkin chocolate chip bars will certainly tide me over.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars (adapted from Cookie Madness)  

¾ c butter
1 1/3 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1 t vanilla
¾ t baking powder
½ t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 t pumpkin pie spice
½ t orange peel
1 egg
1 c canned pumpkin
1 c flour
½ c whole wheat flour
1 c dark chocolate chips
2 T sugar
1/8 t cinnamon
3 ½ T finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350° F.  Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan.

In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter.  Mix in sugar and microwave approximately 30 seconds, or until mixture starts to bubble.  Let mixture cool until tepid.

Add baking powder, salt, 1 t cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, orange peel, and egg.  Mix well.

Add pumpkin and mix well.  Then, mix in flours and chocolate chips.

The batter just needed a little something extra.






Pour batter into prepared pan.

In a small bowl, stir together sugar, 1/8 t cinnamon, and pecans.  Sprinkle over batter.

That looks better.





Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in pan on a wire rack.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest