Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Candle Cake




In case you can’t tell, I created this cake to celebrate a 60th birthday. I was so busy planning the decorations I forgot to take baking pictures. So, for a bit of a change, this time I’m gonna let the photos do the talking. (Don’t worry.  I’ll share the recipe – with photos – soon.)






First, I drew and cut out a template for the row of candles.

Then I made the 60 from gumpaste and covered it with chocolate fondant.

My first attempt with the row of fondant candles was less than stellar. The food coloring markers (obviously it wasn’t me) indented the soft fondant. When I applied the fondant to the cake, it started to tear and wrinkle. Ack!

Round 2 – Here’s the refrosted cake, all ready to go.

This time I applied the fondant first and then decorated. I used a food coloring marker for the black lines and mixed food coloring with a little water to paint on the brown lines.

I wasn’t entirely sure the cake would come together until I added the flames.

I took a step back and decided to pipe a bead border around the bottom.

Finally, I added the birthday message and my first cake of the week was done. Stay tuned for cake #2.

1 comment:

Follow Me on Pinterest