Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Baby Shower and a Frosting Tip



 And here is the final cake project of the month.  I made three dozen orange crush cupcakes (rememberthose?) with teeny, tiny gum paste toppers for a baby shower.

 




Because the toppers were small, I used fine point food coloring markers to add the details.



I also tested an AMAZING tip from Dollar Store Crafts that I discovered on Pinterest.  How on earth did I manage before Pinterest?

Generally, I don’t mind getting messy and sticky while playing with food.  It’s all part of the process. However, after the glow of another successful cake has worn off, dealing with a messy clean-up is another matter altogether.


 
Instead of filling the frosting bags, scoop the frosting onto a piece of plastic wrap.




Wrap the plastic wrap around the frosting and twist the ends closed (check out the video).




Put the coupler in the bag like you usually do and drop the wrapped frosting inside, pulling one of the twisted ends through the end.





Snip off the plastic tail and attach the frosting tip.






Clean-up is even easier – just pull the plastic out of the bag.  Genius!

2 comments:

  1. The cupcakes and toppers are sweet! This is a great tip. I'm not on Pinterest, but I first saw the frosting tip at Karen's Cookie blog. She has lots of great tutorials for cookie decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paula. I'm excited about being free of messy buttercream-filled bags. I'll be sure to check out that blog, too.

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Pinterest