Saturday, July 9, 2011

Seussical the Musical

To continue with the theater cakes theme, I created the Seussical cake for my “niece.” How could a cake based on Dr. Seuss’s books not be fun?

I decided to start with the Cat in the Hat’s red and white striped hat.  He’s the narrator of the show, so it seemed fitting.  Also, the hat would give me a sturdy base and I was traveling to Lancaster, PA.  I had read that the stage for the Broadway show was lit with colored circles, like in the book “Oh, the Places You’ll Go.”  That got me thinking about a multi-colored cake.  I browsed through Cake Central (a great website for inspiration) and found a recipe for a rainbow cake.  Perfect – I did a round layer each of lemon, orange, and lime.  This would be a Seuss-ish cake inside and out.

Gertrude loves Horton
a teeny, tiny Who
Horton (with his clover) and Gertrude McFuzz are two main characters, so I created a Jungle of Nool coming out of the hat and placed them there. Jojo the Who is another main character.  Since a Who would be much too small to see next to Horton, I placed Jojo at the bottom of the cake.  For my “niece,” who played a Bird Girl and wore a hot pink feather boa, I added some feathers around the hat.
almost done
adding shading to the cake with a black
food coloring pen was the finishing touch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest