Thursday, July 7, 2011

in Memory of Betty

I made these two cakes for a very good friend of my mom.  Her family was arranging a surprise birthday party and one of her sons asked my mom about bakeries in the area.  My mom’s friend and her husband had recently taken great care of my parents while they were on vacation together and my dad had a heart attack. Hoping to be able to express my gratitude with cake, I asked if I they would use me instead of a bakery.  A few emails later, I was all set to make a couple of chocolate truffle cakes.

Guests of the party were asked to wear one of the birthday girl’s favorite colors, lime green or hot pink.  Since it’s hard to turn dark chocolate frosting into any color other than dark chocolate - or black, I made colorful marzipan sandals and a tropical flower to top the cakes.  The search for a hot pink or lime green plate on which to serve the cake was challenging, but I finally found a couple of bright green Thomas the Train trays that I turned over and decorated with a hot pink ribbon.

Making cakes to celebrate special occasions is always a pleasure.  Making these cakes, for such a special, kind-hearted person, was an absolute joy.  Betty, you’ll be missed.

a tropical flower for a party
at the beach

marzipan flip flops --
not practical, but yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest