Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Armenian Nutmeg Cake


Note to self – research Armenian desserts!

Last month’s Daring Bakers challenge, hosted by Jason of DailyCandor.com, was a sampling of Armenian desserts, specifically nazook and nutmeg cake. After my first bite of nazook, I began compiling a mental list of the many variations of this fabulous pastry I wanted to create in the near future.  Last night, I finally got around to trying the nutmeg cake and am kicking myself for not baking this sooner.

Cake – good. Freshly grated nutmeg – good. Cake featuring freshly grated nutmeg – heavenly!  And, per the wise counsel of my cousin, I didn’t wait for the cake to cool completely before giving it a taste.

 
1 c milk (I used nonfat)
1 t baking soda
2 c flour
2 t baking powder
2 c brown sugar, firmly packed
¾ c butter, cubed
1 egg
1 to 1 ½ t nutmeg (try freshly grated)
½ c walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.

Mix the baking soda into the milk; set aside.

Sift together flour and baking powder in a large bowl.  Add brown sugar.  Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly and light tan.

Press half the crumb mixture into the bottom of the springform pan.

In a small bowl, mix the egg and nutmeg until frothy, then combine with the milk/baking soda mixture.

Add this mixture to the remaining half of the crumb mixture and combine well.  Pour batter into the springform pan.  Gently sprinkle walnuts over the batter.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool in pan - or dig in while the cake is still warm.  I won’t judge.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest