Sunday, August 7, 2011

Here, Fishy Fishy

Well, my stubborn nephew hasn’t made an appearance yet (C’mon and get born already. I want to meet you!), but that meant I got to spend the day with my chosen family.  Lots of laughter, a tasty lunch, a great movie, and of course, cake with some of my favorite people ever - life is good.


Yesterday was my friend’s birthday, so I made a coffee chocolate chip pound cake with mocha filling to celebrate. I’d been brainstorming design ideas for him for a few months and came across a beautiful cake that looked like a fish jumping out of the water. I figured this would be perfect for the fly fisherman.  And whadda ya know? He’s leaving for a fishing trip tomorrow. Perfect.



To make the fish, I decided to tint gum paste light yellow and then add layers of food coloring with a paint brush. This way, fish would be shiny and look like it just came out of the water. I wasn’t crazy about the way the fish head turned out, but went ahead and started painting it anyway. I figured I could always start again.  After a couple layers of color, however, the fish came to life.







I roughly frosted the cake blue and added swirls of green and white. With a scattering of candy chocolate rocks at the base of the cake and a few gum paste leaves, grasses, and a cattail, I created a fish pond.








Ah, I just love it when a cake comes together.



Happy Birthday, Chris!





Coffee Chocolate Chip Pound Cake

1 c margarine, softened
½ c shortening
2 ½ c sugar
5 eggs
3 c flour
1 t salt
2/3 c evaporated milk
1/3 c strong brewed coffee
2 t vanilla
1 c mini chocolate chips

Grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Cream margarine, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time. Combine flour and salt. Combine evaporated milk, coffee, and vanilla. Alternately add wet and dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly with each addition. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pans and place into a COLD oven. Bake at 325° F for approximately 40 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! This cake is so cool. Almost looks like he's talking to you!

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Pinterest