Friday, January 27, 2012

The Daring Bakers’ Challenge, 2012 January: Scones


Audax Artifex was our January 2012 Daring Bakers’ host. Aud worked tirelessly to master light and fluffy scones (a/k/a biscuits) to help us create delicious and perfect batches in our own kitchens!

As suggested, I tried a few variations of the basic scone recipe provided here. I used frozen, grated butter in one batch.  I triple sifted flour.  I added chocolate chips, just for fun.

My favorite batch, however, came from the Irish currant scones recipe on the website Little Shamrocks. I used whole wheat flour (called wholemeal flour in Ireland) and exchanged dried cranberries for currants.  With one taste I was transported back to Ireland and breakfasts with a basket of warm scones (or sconces, as my aunt called them) and my very own little silver pot of tea. I could almost smell the peat fire and feel the comfort of lounging in a pub on a chilly, drizzly (or soft as the Irish say) day.  

Ahhh.

Irish Cranberry Scones (adapted from Little Shamrocks)

1 ½ c whole wheat flour
½ c white flour
½ t salt
1 T sugar
3 ½ t baking soda
¼ c dried cranberries
1 egg
4 T melted butter
2/3 c cold milk

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix together all dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat together egg, melted butter, and milk.  Add to dry ingredients and stir just until combined. 

On a floured surface, knead the dough about 10 times until smooth.


Pat the dough into a 1-inch thick rectangle and cut circles with a 2-inch round cutter.  Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Brush the tops with a little milk and then sprinkle with sugar.  Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.  Serve warm.

Makes 12 scones.

1 comment:

  1. These look lovely, especially with that butter melting all over them!

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Pinterest