Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hello Kitty

I love turning the building blocks - or cakes - from this. . .
There’s nothing quite like playing with sugar. I love that moment when you can smell that the cake is done. Waiting for the baked goods to cool so you can begin decorating seems to take forever, but it’s an importance part of the process (see up and running), so you just inhale deeply and know the fun will start soon. 



This weekend was the 8th grade graduation of a coworker’s daughter. She selected a pink and purple Hello Kitty theme. I baked chocolate and vanilla cupcakes and a coffee cake with chocolate chips and mocha filling. The night before baking, I started the cupcake decorations – Hello Kitty heads and tiny diplomas. While waiting for the cakes to cool, I added pink fondant bows and graduation caps to the kitties and pink ribbons to the diplomas.


Once the cakes cooled, it was time to carve, fill, and crumb coat Hello Kitty. After a few hours in the fridge, I applied and smoothed the final layer of buttercream, added the rest of the decorations, and voila!
. . .to this!

cupcake close up

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest